Why Your Furnace Needs Regular Tune-Ups
If you are a home or business owner, you likely understand that a furnace needs regular maintenance in order to stay in top shape. Regular maintenance checks, also known as furnace tune-ups, play a critical role in keeping your Carrier (or other brand of furnace) functioning smoothly!
However, some homeowners may question the necessity and cost-effectiveness of these tune-ups – especially if they just end up incurring more expenses and aren’t really “necessary” for the health of the system.
These are legitimate concerns.
At Modern HVAC, we want to help you fully understand the benefits of proactive furnace maintenance and offer insights to guide your decisions regarding the care of your heating/furnace system.
Let’s get started:
Understanding Furnace Tune-Ups
A furnace tune-up is a detailed service performed by an HVAC specialist from Modern HVAC, aimed at maintaining your heating system in peak condition.
Tasks carried out during a tune-up include the following:
- Cleaning of burners, filters, fans, vents, drains, and airflow parts
- Lubrication of moving components
- Inspection for any signs of leaks, cracks, or corrosion
- Testing and calibration of safety and operational controls
- Verification of proper combustion
- Examination of gas connections and the ignition system
- Assessment of belts, wiring, and overall system condition
How Long Does a Furnace Tune-Up Last?
On average, you can expect your furnace tune-up to last between one and two hours.
Please note that a tune-up performed by a professional is more comprehensive than basic filter replacements or visual inspections.
At Modern Sheet Metal, our goal is to address minor issues before they escalate into significant problems like unit repairs, or complete system failures.
Benefits of Regular Furnace Tune-Ups
While furnaces are built to endure, they still demand regular maintenance to prevent breakdowns.
Neglecting tune-ups can lead to diminished performance and early signs of failure, even in high-quality heating systems. Early detection and resolution of issues are crucial for maximizing both the lifespan and efficiency of your furnace.
The benefits of routine maintenance include:
- Increased Efficiency and Lower Heating Bills: Dust accumulation and wear and tear can reduce a furnace’s efficiency. Tune-ups can correct these issues, leading to cost savings on energy.
- Longer System Lifespan: Regular maintenance can identify early problems, extend the system’s life, and delay expensive furnace replacement costs. More information here in our article about signs your furnace needs a replacement.
- Reduction in Unexpected Repairs: By catching small issues early, tune-ups can prevent them from becoming large, costly furnace repairs.
- Improved Safety: Regular checks reduce the risk of carbon monoxide leaks, fire hazards, and other safety concerns, providing peace of mind.
When to Schedule Furnace Tune-Ups
Annual tune-ups are essential for maintaining smooth operation and extending the lifespan of your furnace. Manufacturers typically recommend a yearly service before the heating season begins.
However, the ideal frequency may vary based on:
- Furnace Age: The age of your furnace, with older models requiring more frequent checks.
- Climate/Usage Frequency: Your climate and how heavily the furnace is used.
- Maintenance History: The maintenance history of the furnace, especially if it has been neglected in the past.
Consult with a Modern HVAC technician to determine the best maintenance schedule for your specific needs. Typically, we recommend a tune-up once annually, but sometimes, in your specific case, you may require more or less maintenance checks.
Signs Your Unit Needs a Tune-Up
It’s important be aware of signs that your furnace may require professional attention. The signs to watch out for include:
- Energy Bills: Increased energy bills or difficulty maintaining set temperatures.
- Noises: Unusual noises during operation.
- Poor Circulation: Uneven heating or cold areas in your home.
- Smells: Odd smells in your basement, or coming from the unit itself.
- Wear/Corrosion: You may also notice visible signs of wear and corrosion.
Hopefully, if you notice these signs, that they just indicate that you need a tune-up, rather than a completely new furnace installation.
Read More: What to Know Before Installing a New Furnace
Scheduling a Furnace Tune-Up: Common FAQs
A furnace tune up is a complete maintenance service for ensuring that your heating unit is operating safely, efficiently, and reliably, especially during the cold winter months. Your HVAC professional will perform an inspection, clean the unit, and make any necessary adjustments or repairs. They will inform you of any findings that they notice need to be addressed. The goal of a furnace tune-up is to ensure the best longevity and most efficient performance possible for your unit.
The cost of a furnace tune-up can vary depending on what state you live in, the size and type of furnace, whether any fixes or adjustments need to be performed, and the company performing the work. This investment not only helps in maintaining the efficiency of your heating system, but can also save money in the long run by preventing costly repairs and extending the life of your furnace. For an exact cost, please contact the experts at Modern HVAC.
A furnace tune-up typically includes: cleaning the burners, inspecting the heat exchanger for cracks, checking and adjusting the blower motor and its components, testing safety controls and the thermostat, inspecting electrical connections, lubricating moving parts, checking the air filter, and assessing the system’s overall operation. This thorough check helps to identify potential issues before they become costly repairs.
Tuning up a furnace involves cleaning and inspecting all parts of the furnace, such as the burners, blower motor, and air filter, to ensure they’re free of debris and functioning correctly. It also involves checking the furnace’s safety controls, electrical connections, and ventilation system for any potential issues. While homeowners can perform basic maintenance like changing air filters, a professional tune-up requires specialized knowledge and tools.
It’s recommended to have your furnace tuned up one a year, ideally before the start of the heating season. This yearly maintenance helps ensure your furnace is ready to operate safely and efficiently throughout the colder months. However, if your furnace is older or operates under high demand, it might benefit from more frequent checks.
Why Choose Modern HVAC?
Choosing Modern HVAC for your annual furnace tune-up means entrusting your system to experienced professionals, local to the Fox Valley! Our service area includes the cities of Appleton, Menasha, Neenah, Kimberly, Kaukauna, Little Chute, Greenville, Hortonville, Darboy, etc. With more than 60+ years in the business, Modern HVAC stands out from our competitors thanks to trust we build with our customers, quality work, great Google and Facebook reviews, and a passion for what we do.
At Modern HVAC, we provide FREE estimates and FREE second opinions! With a strong focus on delivering superior service and maintaining a stellar track record, Modern HVAC is your go-to source for reliable furnace maintenance in Appleton, WI and beyond! Schedule a service below, or contact us directly at (920) 733-4713 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.